It’s been a while, but I thought it important to post an update to the wpupdate program I wrote to upgrade a whole mess of WordPress installs at one time. I took a cue from the program officially sponsored by WP, but think mine is much, much better. 🙂
Here are some of the features:
- Specify a file with a list of svn WP installs, or update the current directory, or specify the directory to update on the command line
- Use command flags or options. You can specify the program to update or switch, use tags or branches.
- Automatically saves a copy of the svn update to a file so your terminal is not overflowing with text, but does output any conflicts that arise.
- Automatically saves a backup copy of the wp-contents directory (just in case the update or switch screws something up).
- Automatically saves a copy of the database, backing up only the tables used by the WP install (based off of the wp-config supplied table prefix).
- Restores permissions to the original owner and group.
Anyhow, check out the new page devoted soley to this application: SVN WordPress Updater
License: Anyone is free to use this program however they want, as long as they give me due attribution. Also if you update or modify the program in any way, I need to know about it. That’s what free and open software is all about. Any updates should benefit us all.